How can you claim PIP

How can you claim Personal Independence Payment?

Claims for Personal Independence Payment should be made by calling 0800 917 2222 or textphone 0800 917 7777.

The call can be made by someone supporting the claimant but the claimant must be present. There are provisions for people who do not speak English as their first language.

During the call, if the Department for Work and Pensions identifies that the claimant needs additional support with completing the claim, it can arrange for one of its visiting officers to assist the claimant.

A paper PIP1 claim form can be requested for someone who is unable to deal with their claim by telephone and has no one to help them make the telephone call.

The claimant should have information about the following subjects ready as they will all be covered in the initial call:

  • Personal and contact details
  • Residency details (known as residence and presence)
  • Relevant periods spent in hospital and/or residential care
  • Payment (bank account) details
  • Main illnesses or disabilities, including any terminal illness.

The date of claim is the date of the phone call once the claimant has agreed a declaration which will be read out to them.

The claimant will then be sent a PIP2 form for them to explain how their condition affects their daily life.