all change: recent court cases transform local authority homelessness practices
Secure your place:
09 July 2015 13.30 – 16.30 Queens Street Bristol BS2
10 July 2015 13.30 – 16.30 Fleet Place London EC4M
14 July 2015 13.30 – 16.30 Edmund Street Birmingham B3
16 July 2015 13.30 – 16.30 Old Trafford Manchester M16
Sitra and Homeless Link in conjunction with Bevan Brittan LLP present a series of regional briefings to ensure all staff are up to date on Homelessness legislation.
Hear from legal experts and advisors about a number of legal challenges that have identified what applicants and those accepted as homeless can expect from Local Housing Authorities who are considering their case.
In the current environment of limited resources understanding the implications of these cases are critical to those who are supporting clients who require Local Authority assistance or are making a homeless application.
This half day briefing will cover
- Unlawful practices in dealing with homelessness applications – Judicial Review R v LB Southwark (settled by consent)
- New test of vulnerability – Hotak v LB Southwark in the Supreme Court
- Restrictions on Local Authorities placing out of Borough – Nzolameso v City of Westminster in the Supreme Court
- New approach to intentional homelessness: Haile v Waltham Forest
- Recent important homelessness cases
At the end of the session participants will
- Understand the implications of the recent changes in homelessness legislation
- Know what this means for their role working with those making homeless applications
- Be more confidence in ensuring decisions made within the legal framework
Sitra Members £75 non-members £125